Business meetings should enhance productivity. If they’re a drain, maybe your organization isn’t doing them the best way. For more efficiency consider the advantages of the scrum meeting.
Scrum Meetings Have a Purpose
You’ve heard about scrum, agile and sprints, but how do they fit together? Generally, the purpose of scrum is to support agile project management. The agile methodology definition applies mainly to technology development. Agile methodology supports frequent delivery and evolving requirements. It uses the scrum meeting for ongoing communication between business and technology. In agile, a project is segmented into sprints, which are the rapid development of deliverables of about two weeks. In this time frame, an efficient meeting process is critical.
During a sprint, the project team uses several types of scrum meetings. The scrum environment helps the team realize the ambitious objective of its sprint. Productive meetings don’t just happen because someone wants them; they require someone who knows or is willing to learn, how to run an agile meeting.
Why Are There So Many Different Types of Scrum Meetings?
Scrum ceremonies are called ceremonies to emphasize they are not merely meetings but are a process to keep the sprint on track. What are the 5 scrum ceremonies? Here is a list of scrum meetings, in their scrum meeting order. These make up the agile meetings list:
- The Sprint Planning Meeting is the first of the scrum meeting types and takes place at the beginning of a new scrum sprint in the agile development cycle. It includes the project owner, the sprint project team, and a scrum master who understands how to run a sprint planning meeting. The owner and developers agree on the team goals.
- The Daily Team Meeting is usually a morning stand-up to limit the scrum meeting duration. The scrum project status meeting frequency is once a day. Why is a daily standup or sprint meeting important? As a stand up meeting example, or as an example of questions to ask in stand up meeting, team members update scrum status by identifying what they accomplished yesterday, what they’ll do today and obstacles they’ve encountered.
- The Sprint Review Ceremony occurs at end of the sprint. Which topics should be discussed in the sprint review? In the sprint review meeting the team shows a sprint demo of the scrum software they’re developed. Sprint review vs sprint retrospective focuses more on product than process.
- The Sprint Retrospective Meeting is the last meeting of a completed sprint where the team reflects and identify opportunities for improvement.
- The Product Backlog Refinement Ceremony allows the team and the business to bring high-level focus on product quality and to facilitate planning of future sprints.
Who Is At the Controls?
The Product Owner is the key business stakeholder. They ensure team focus on the vision for the product. The product owner role in sprint review meeting is to assess the competed work and gauge how it meets the business requirements. The owner is an important communicator but does not determine the nuts-and-bolts contents of a sprint.
The Scrum Master is expected to help the scrum team adhere to agile development best practices. They decide who starts the daily scrum meeting, whether it’s an am meeting or a pm scrum meeting. They oversee the use of the scrum meeting wiki. This person works with the product owner to prepare for the definition of upcoming sprints. This individual can maximize their effectiveness by obtaining a scrum master certification.
The Scrum Team is a small group, usually five to nine people who actually produce the sprint deliverable. They do not have individual roles, but work together, as each team member is responsible to see that the overall sprint goal is achieved.
Best Practices and Tools for Successful Scrum Meetings
Is the scrum meeting a promising idea for your organization? Are you wondering how to get started? Preparation, collaboration, and communication are key, whether you dive head-first into agile methodology or take a slower approach to adopt its practices. Fortunately, there are processes and tools, such as a Docket for your scrum meetings as a scrum meeting template, to help you master scrum meetings best practices and understand how to run a scrum meeting.
For planning, an agile meeting agenda is critical. Tools such as the daily standup meeting invite template, the daily scrum meeting template, the daily scrum meeting email template and the daily scrum meeting checklist facilitate appropriate attendance and full coverage of agenda items. A daily scrum meeting template such as a daily meeting excel template ensures the capture and sharing of stand up meeting ideas.
The scrum master keeps the team up to speed between meetings with the scrum meetings list, the daily standup meeting email template and the daily meeting minutes template. Whatever tools are used, it’s vital they are visible to the entire team and easy to keep up to date.
With the right tools, meetings are planned thoroughly, conducted methodically, and tasks are accurately created and tracked. Scrum meetings and the agile methodology can make meetings work for you rather than you working for them.